the BDM 50k test run.

A long-overdue post, but I'm a stickler for having all the pictures organized first.  Sorry guys!  Anyway, I'll try not to yammer and just get down to the details.  This documents one of the hardest (and yet most exciting) part of being married to a runner... scratch... an ultramarathoner.  That being, staying awake and alert throughout the entire run, for support.  These two days basically screwed up my body clock for the following week.

Team Chips for that test run (last January 15-16, 2011) comprised of myself and Chips' youngest brother, Cian.  We tried to get as much sleep possible beforehand, because we knew that the day would be extra long.  The groceries we had already done, and all that was left to do was get ice.


What we had:
  • Loads of Pocari Sweat
  • Coleman of water
  • A couple of bottles of 100Plus
  • Energy gels
  • Peanuts
  • Junk food (more for us, to keep us awake)
  • Coke (since coffee makes me sleepy)
  • Sponge and ice
  • Bananas
  • A folding chair
  • Highly absorbent sports towel
  • Chips' running and break plan
We leave Manila at around 4pm, just in case it was traffic.  None of us knew where the exact location of kilometer-zero was (except for the fact that there was a Jollibee right beside it), so we just had some allowance in case we got lost.  We arrived at said Jollibee at around 7:30pm, which gave us enough time to have dinner and digest, plus inadvertently listen to the nearby local perya band.

I'd call them all insane but they might trample on me.

Runners started to arrive and Chips then got a chance to get his number.  After a quick briefing by BR and a photo-op, everyone assembled for the start.  There were a lot of support vehicles, so at least we wouldn't get lost along the route.  When the horn blew, we made our way to our support vehicle and headed off for the first stop, which was 7 kilometers out, the landing after the uphill climb.

It was fuh-reeezing!  Good thing I was in leggings and had a jacket.  To think that Chips was kidding me about being so wrapped *sticks tongue out*.

Based on his running plan he was actually doing really good time.  Perhaps too fast for the actual 102k, I wouldn't want him to overdo himself.  We were doing a good pace as a support van too, I guess it's just instinct when you're close to a person... you kind of "sense" him coming round the bend.  When we do, we pop up the back of the van, ready his gels, Pocari Sweat to refill his sports bottle, and the Coleman for water.  

Icing the legs at the 42k mark.

At the later part of the race, we start bringing out the iced sponges and sports towel for his legs to prevent cramping.  Having the folding chair really helped as well (we didn't have that during the P2P).  At some point, we actually started to go low on water.  Good thing there were a lot of open bars and Burger Machine stalls where we could buy additional supplies.  I also make a mental note that I'll be sure to buy a burger (with egg and coleslaw) next time.

I would love to know how to help ward the dogs away.  Chips said he had to go mighty slow so this pack of dogs wouldn't run after him.  Maybe during the actual race I'll throw them a bone to distract them or something (if anyone has a better solution, they are most welcome).  By this time we were getting immensely sleepy.  The Coke and potato chips were getting tired.  The same way I cheer the hubby through the last kilometers, I cheer my senses awake as well.  It was SO friggin hard.

That's a five-zero for you.  Get it, get it?

By around 4am we finally reach the 50k mark (WEE!).  Learning for the actual race: don't forget bandages, bring jogging pants for Chips, and bring more stuff that will keep us awake for another 6 hours.  He's officially the 15th out of 77 runners!  That's like super great *proud grin*

Official results here.

Rehydrating at the finish line.

For the 102K day, we'll have to adjust the running plan.  An easier pace, so the energy could still be sustained (at least) throughout that crazy distance.  And a nap somewhere to recharge.  I also take notes on landmarks for directions, aside from filling up his "actual time" beside the calculated time.

The running plan by my OC hubby.
The anxiety for the 102k actually cannot be described.  It's like this bubble of excitement mixed with this ooze of worry.  I personally have no idea if I could will myself to nap during the stops, while I know that I should.  We definitely will need more awakening stuff.  And I surely will have a better camera.



Post a Comment